Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My Peace Corps Invitation

Welcome to my blog! This is the first of many new adventures I will be experiencing in the near future. In January of 2010 I applied to the Peace Corps. I was originally nominated to be a teacher trainer in the Pacific Region. I was quite surprised when I received my invitation to go to the eastern European country of Bulgaria as a teacher of English as a foreign language! My invitation arrived in October, and I have been preparing ever since by trying to learn the Bulgarian language and all I can about its geography, history and amazing sights.

I received my staging materials today. I need to be in Philadelphia March 28 for orientation with the 40 other trainees going to Bulgaria. The next day we take a bus to New York City's JFK and depart that afternoon. After a short layover in Munich, we depart for Sofia, the capital of Bulgaria, and arrive shortly after noon on March 30. Training begins immediately and lasts for a very intensive 12 weeks. We find out where our permanent assignments are midway through training.

I will forever cherish the support and encouragement I have received from my wonderful, loving family and my dear friends in pursuing this adventure - 40 years in the making! I am so lucky to have you!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, how exciting! Good luck and have a great experience. You will do amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are lucky to get such a fantastic teacher! Have a wonderful adventure and keep us posted! We will miss you dearly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joan,

    We are so proud that when so many our age are looking for a rocking chair you are continuing your life adventure...and doing it in such a positive way! Not only will you be a teacher but also a student as you find your way along in the process. Now...get out there and change the world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sister Sister, I am sooo proud, happy & excited for you, what an adventure!! The Bulgarian children are blessed to be getting You as their teacher & You, in return are blessed to be learning all that they have to teach a naive midwestern Girl!! I love you & I am behind you all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ALL OF US ARE VERY PROUD OF YOU & the BIG ADVENTURE YOU are about to make-YOU ARE SUCH AN INSPIRATION TO ME (& You Always Have Been My Whole LIfe)I am VERY EXCITED for YOU I LOVE YOU DEAR SISTER ! IT'S TIME FOR YOU !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dear friend. . .you inspire me! I can't believe that you are really doing this, but I know it has been a dream for a long, long time. Good for you for sticking to it! I admire your generosity, your adventurous spirit, and your dedication to teaching. I pray for your safety and happiness as you embark on this adventure! May God's richest blessings be yours!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy and proud of you! You are going to have a great time. I can't wait to read your next blog chapter. Love you and looking forward to seeing you next weekend.

    ReplyDelete