Happy New Year!
I took a wonderful trip over the break. Bulgaria is a beautiful country with all the ancient history of any European country, but one of the best things about being assigned here is the proximity to places I've always wanted to visit...like Greece. I joined three other volunteers over our Christmas break and flew to Athens.
I took a wonderful trip over the break. Bulgaria is a beautiful country with all the ancient history of any European country, but one of the best things about being assigned here is the proximity to places I've always wanted to visit...like Greece. I joined three other volunteers over our Christmas break and flew to Athens.
This view of Athens and the Aegean Sea was taken out of the window of the airplane. Notice the propeller. It seemed strange to fly in a prop plane, but it was as smooth as any jet I've been in.
We rode a tour bus around to see all the main attractions.
The Parthenon
The Odeum of Herodes Atticus theater
The Acropolis
Graffiti was everywhere. The letter behind the bush is a c.
Malakas: "someone who doesn't use common sense" according to Wikipedia.
Another view of the Acopolis
Later we walked to the busy squares.
We took a horse and buggy ride part way up the Acropolis then walked the rest of the way.
Another view of Odeum of Herodes Atticus theater
A view of the inside of Odeum of Herodes Atticus theater
The Propylaia was built 437-432 BC and is the entrance to the Acropolis. The Pinakotheke is a large hall to the left. It was a picture gallery that displayed the work of artists from the 5th century BC.
The Parthenon
The Erechtheion, a temple of gods and heroes, and a tomb of kings.
The Parthenon
The Parthenon pediment detail
Another pediment detail
The Temple of Hephaestus was built in about 449 BC. This photo was taken from the Acropolis.
The chapel of St. George on top of Lykavittos Hill. Photo taken from the Acropolis.
The Erechtheion
Me with two fellow Peace Corps volunteers and great traveling buddies.
City views as we descended the Acropolis:
This was taken with the zoom. The Parthenon was a beautiful sight all lit up at night.
The Temple of Zeus
The Arch of Hadrian
All this and THEN we took a ferry to the island of Crete which will be the topic of my next post.
Thanks for visiting my blog!
Peace, love and all the best,
Joan
No comments:
Post a Comment